The cover on the current part shows the sailing vessel Killoran in Spencer Dock, Belfast. The Killoran, of 1,817 gross tons, was built in 1900 and sails under the Finnish flag. She is owned by that well-known sailing ship man Gustaf Erikson. In the foregraound of the picture is the bowsprit of the Herzogin Cecilie, also owned by Erikson.
The concluding part to this chapter describes the salvage of the liner St Paul, which heeled over in New York harbour from a mysterious cause. You can read more about this salvage in chapter XII of David Masters’ book The Wonders of Salvage.This is the third article in the series Dramas of Salvage and is concluded from part 9.
An account of the early developments of power propulsion, and of the many successful experiments made in Great Britain and elsewhere between 1630 and 1820. The article is by F E Dean, and is the first article in the series Marine Engines and Their Story.
Having abandoned his profession as a civil engineer, Alain Gerbault sailed a 39 ft yacht round the world. Though several times death all but claimed this fearless adventurer, he achieved an astonishing triumph. This chapter is by Sidney Howard and is the second article in the series Great Voyages in Little Ships.
(left) THE YACHT that sailed round the world. The cutter Firecrest, in which Alain Gerbault sailed round the world alone, taking some six years to accomplish an astounding feat of endurance and navigation. In his 39 ft boat, which was over thirty years old, the French navigator sailed more than 40,000 miles. His course was from east to west.
Click on the small image to see a British Pathe newsreel clip “End of Romantic Voyage” (1929)
An Overturned Liner
AN OVERTURNED LINER. A striking picture of the American 11,629 tones liner St Paul lying beside a quay in New York. The ship heeled over in the harbour from some mysterious cause, on April 25 1918, exactly ten years after she had rammed the Gladiator in the Solent. This photograph was taken soon after the salvage crew had begun work on her.
Designed and built in the USA for English owners, the Lightning was one of the most famous of the racing clippers. The Lightning was a remarkable ship. She made a homeward run from Melbourne to Liverpool of 64 days 3 hours 10 minutes in 1854. Outward bound in 1856, this clipper covered 2,188 miles in seven consecutive days. Later the Lightning made a wonderful passage to India with troops to help in quelling the Mutiny. The article is by Frank Bowen and is the third in the series Speed Under Sail.
Through the Isthmus of Panama
The great artificial shipping lane separating North and South America is an unparalleled engineering triumph. Its construction cost about £75,000,000 and changed many of the world’s important trade routes. The length of the canal is just over 50 miles. It was opened in 1914, but it was not in regular use until 1916 because of landslides. To-day the biggest ships can pass along the Canal. This chapter tells both of the present-day working and conditions of the Canal, and also of the determination and endurance which helped to build it. This article is by Sidney Howard and is the third in the series on World Waterways.
Passing Through Miraflores Lock
This striking photograph shows the Rangitane (left) entering Miraflores Lock from the Pacific side. The Rangitane is a vessel of 16,712 gross tons; she was built at Clydebank in 1929 for the New Zealand Shipping Company and has a length of 531 feet, a beam of 70 feet and a depth of 38 feet. She is passing a tanker belonging to the Standard Oil Company of California.
Click on the small image to see a British Pathe newsreel clip “An Imposing Spectacle” showing the USS Colorado, the largest vessel in the US Navy, passing through the Panama Canal (1924).
Epics of the Submarines
Stories of men who have not only had amazing escapes from death, but who have also performed feats of unforgettable gallantry. The article is by Lieu.-Com. E Keble Chatterton and is concluded in part 11.
(Left) THE MAIN ARMAMENT of the submarine is her torpedoes. Early submarines used in the war of 1914-18 were fitted with 14 in torpedoes, but to-day the standard is 21 in. This picture shows the inner ends of four torpedo tubes - any one of which is capable of destroying a ship, as was several times proved during the war of 1914-18.