Part 15 of Shipping Wonders of the World was published on Tuesday 19th May 1936.
This issue included a colour plate illustrating HMS Victory by Frank H Mason. This accompanied the article The World’s Most Famous Ship and the plate was also used for the cover. The coloured plate was attached to page 476 of this issue.
The cover of this week’s part is a reproduction of Frank H Mason’s painting of HMS Victory as she is
A home for the world's largest ocean-going liners, the fourth port in Great Britain for exports, Southampton’s record is one of continuous progress and achievement. This chapter is by Sidney Howard, and is the fourth article in the series Great Ports of the World.
A GREAT EVENT IN THE HISTORY OF SOUTHAMPTON. The arrival of the RMS Cunard White Star liner Queen Mary in the King George V Graving Dock after having sailed from the Clyde in March 1936. The three ships to the left of the Queen Mary are the Twickenham Ferry (2,839 tons), the Southern Railway’s car and train ferry, the Cunard White Star Majestic and the Union Castle liner Windsor Castle (18,973 tons), the bows of which can be seen immediately behind the stern of the Majestic.
THE NEW BOW OF THE SUEVIC leaving Belfast on October 19 1907 for Southampton. It was built on a slipway in the ordinary manner, but was launched head foremost. This unusual procedure was necessary as the bulkhead that closed the after end was not built to withstand a great pressure of water. The bow was towed by the tug Pathfinder, which is seen in the photograph, and steered by the Blazer. The journey from Belfast to Southampton took six days.
The Brilliant and the Pericles, two fine-lined sailing vessels, were built for the Australian route. Year after year they engaged in some of the most exciting races on record. The article was written by Frank Bowen and is the fifth in the series Speed Under Sail.
BUILT AT ABERDEEN IN 1877, the clipper Brilliant (below) on dimension 254 ft by 39 ft 7 in by 24 ft 2 in had a gross tonnage of 1,668. Her appearance lived up to her name, for she had a highly-polished brass rail that ran round the ship and polished teak with beautiful filigree fretwork in the panels inside the bulwarks.
Adventures of the Ice-Breaker
Time lost through laid-up or delayed shipping is one of the most serious problems that port and shipping authorities must face. Fog and ice are chiefly responsible for any such delay. This chapter, by Frank Bowen, describes the work of the vessels that free ice-bound trade routes.
AT THE ENTRANCE TO THE ZUIDER ZEE. Dutch ice-breaker at work on the River Ijsel, which drains into the Ijsel Meer, the most important undrained portion of the Zuider Zee, to clear the way for traffic between Amsterdam and Kampen. Dutch engineers have designed a number of efficient vessels which can combine ice-breaking with towing and salvage work.
River Plate Type Cross-Channel Ship
AT the mouth of the big River Plate waterway system lie the important ports of Buenos Aires and Montevideo. It is necessary to cater for the busy traffic between these towns by means of a fast overnight service. British shipbuilders just before the war of 1914-1918 constructed two vessels for this work, the Ciudad de Buenos Aires and Ciudad de Montevideo. Accommodation for 494 first-class passengers is arranged on a long, narrow, shallow hull with a draft of only 10 feet, and a total height from keel to awning deck of only 23 ft 3 in, and a beam of 44 feet. The overall length is 364 feet, the length between perpendiculars 350 feet. On trials, these remarkable ships made a speed of 19 knots with 5,800 shaft horse power on twin screws. Propulsion is by two sets of geared turbines taking steam from boilers originally designed for coal firing. Passenger accommodation is arranged on all decks, as the
plans show. Luxurious first-class cabins and a social hall are placed on the awning deck. The cabins all have doors opening inwards towards a central fore and aft passage, an arrangement similar to that on vessels operating on the Great Lakes of North America. There are two small cargo holds, one forward and one abaft the machinery space. Cargo is loaded and discharged over the side of the ship. There are cranes and side doors for this purpose, but no hatches trunked up to the top decks. The cranes are capable of handling thirty hundredweight. The three gracefully raking cowl-topped funnels and piled-up superstructure give these vessels strikingly handsome lines. These two ships have reached a standard of design in cross-Channel ship construction that has not been improved upon elsewhere. Although nearly twenty-two years old, they still do efficient service and occasionally make short coastwise cruises.
HMS Victory has played a noble part in the making of British naval history. To-day, restored to her Trafalgar condition, she is a monument to, and a proud link with, a great tradition. This chapter is written by Frank Bowen.
(Left) A LINE OF FAMOUS ADMIRALS, including Nelson, Hyde Parker, Kempenfelt and Sir John Jervis (afterwards Lord St Vincent), hoisted their flag in HMS Victory. The photograph shows the Victory before she was removed to dry dock in 1922; at various times before that date she had been in danger. Shortly after the end of the Napoleonic wars she was saved from the scrappers’ yard. Then Princess Victoria’s (afterwards Queen Victoria) personal interest in the Victory made the public realize that the ship was a national heritage. In 1908, after having been rammed by an obsolete warship, the Victory was saved from the shipbreakers by King Edward VII.
Nelson’s Flagship as She is
An impression of HMS Victory by Frank H Mason. In 1922 the fabric of this famous ship was in danger of falling to pieces. An appeal was started and, largely because of the generosity of Sir James Caird, the well-known shipowner, enough money was raised to enable the Victory to be reconstructed and restored to the condition of her Trafalgar days. She was put in an iron cradle and, encased in cement, carefully preserved in dry dock at Portsmouth Dockyard.
(Left) REGULAR STEAMSHIP SERVICES are maintained between Liverpool and the Amazon by the Booth Line. Ships run to Para and up the river to Manaos and between Para and New York and other ports. This photograph was taken from the Booth Line steamer Hilary. The Hilary was built in 1931 by Cammell Laird & Co at Birkenhead. She has a gross tonnage of 7,403, an overall length of 424 ft 3 in, a beam of 56 ft 3 in, and a depth of